Miralax Bowel Preparation Instructions
Several days before your Colonoscopy
You will be mailed a prescription to obtain the items you need. Purchase four (4) Dulcolax (bisacodyl) Laxative Tablets (not Stool Softener Tablets) at the pharmacy (located in the laxative section), one (1) bottle (238 grams) of Miralax, and 1 - 64 ounce bottle of Gatorade (no red, orange or purple dyes). Please ask the pharmacist for assistance if you are not sure what to purchase. NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF HEART FAILURE, KIDNEY FAILURE, LIVER DISEASE, OR DIABETES, PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.
The Day Before The Exam
- Drink only clear liquids such as water, apple juice, white grape juice, white cranberry juice, soda, lime or lemon Jello, bouillon, black coffee, plain tea (you can have sugar, but no cream), popsicles or flavor ices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Clear or lemon-lime Gatorade is helpful in keeping your body fluids balanced during this preparation. NO SOLID FOODS, NO MILK OR MILK PRODUCTS, DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH RED, ORANGE OR PURPLE DYES.
- At 3:00 pm: Take 4 Dulcolax (bisacodyl) tablets. Wait approximately 2 hours before continuing with the rest of the preparation. If you have to stay at work, you can change the time you take the tablets, but be sure to wait 2 hours before continuing with the next step.
- At 5:00 pm: Mix a bottle of Miralax in 64 ounces of Gatorade. Drink 1 8 ounce glass of the mixture every 15 to 20 minutes until finished. It will take you approximately 2 hours. You will begin to have bowel movements frequently during this time.
- Continue drinking clear liquids of your choice throughout the evening until bedtime.
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING INCLUDING WATER AFTER MIDNIGHT. THIS INCLUDED HARD CANDY, BREATH MINTS, LOZENGES, OR CHEWING GUM. NO SMOKING AFTER MIDNIGHT. IF YOUR PROCEDURE IS SCHEDULED FOR 12:00 NOON OR AFTER, YOU MAY HAVE UP TO 8 OUNCES OF CLEAR LIQUIDS UP TO 4 HOURS BEFORE THE EXAM. YOUR PROCEDURE MAY BE CANCELLED IF YOU HAVE HAD SOMETHING BY MOUTH AFTER THE 4 HOUR RESTRICTION.
- Please note that Miralax is not an FDA approved bowel preparation, but has been found to be safe and effective for this purpose in multiple studies. If you have any questions or concerns, call us at 717-531-1318.
- Questions about Prep after 4:30 pm: Call 531-8521 and ask for the GI Fellow on-call.